I'd love to hear from you

Email me! maryvmcclain@gmail.com

Sunday, January 24, 2010

La Ringrazio (I thank you)

First of all, thanks for sharing this adventure with me.  If you haven't read it from the beginning these later posts might not make sense, so I suggest you start from the first post to hear about my immersion course and my great adventure!

I know, to some people, my little adventure isn't much of an adventure.  I didn't go to a dangerous place.  For Pete's sake,  I went to the big scary world of Europe.  But because I knew I was going to a very small town in Basilicata where most people didn't speak English, well, I was a little scared. Scared enough to try to learn Italian and to take an immersion course.   I want to say how much I admire our ancestors (and people who immigrate today).  I can't believe how courageous they were.  Look at me, for instance.  I had to study my heart out for a year before I would even THINK of going to a foreign place alone.  And, in the end, I was well relieved to have my sister and brother to accompany me on the hard part.    I know that both my Irish and Italian grandparents and great-grandparents didn't have easy lives but took chances, made many sacrifices and multiple tests of courage to give us a better life.  Every time I meet someone who even moves across the country to follow a dream, ambition or a better life; I am full of admiration.  And the many many people I've worked with in California… (who moved to the US before they could speak a word of English)…. are a constant inspiration to me.

Secondly, I need to thank the people who helped me experience this crazy dream: my teachers (Anthony, Isabella, Richard, Mira and Alessandra), also Alessandra's family, my "mentors": Herman Tak and Lucio Ferri,  my new acquaintances: Vincenzo DiGrazia and the friendly people in Calvello; and especially my brother John and sister Margaret for being there with me.  I might have chickened out if I had not had so much support.  I may have made it to Calvello or become wolf bait trying to get there.

Thanks to all of you for reading my blog and encouraging me along the way. 

And mostly, my wonderful husband who loves me for the eccentric person I can be, and supports me in all that I do.  Thank you Rob.  I am the luckiest woman alive… now, it's your turn… what's your dream adventure?
Vi abbraccio (I embrace you),
Maria Catrina Rosa DeGrazia McClain




3 comments:

  1. It was a privledge to share the portion of the trip we did with you Mary. I'm proud of you. Thank you for arranging such a wonderful adventure for the three of us to share together. What fun we had. Maybe next you'll explore our Irish roots. ;) Love you Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    I had the good fortune to live and learn with the Stefanis for the entire month of August, 2005. Staying with them for four weeks was a life changing experience for me. I write a blog about my experiences in Italy, which often includes the Stefanis. I hope you will take a moment to check it out and even subscribe to it-- www.mark-leslie.net and revisit your time there. There is some video of Nonna cooking and I am going to be posting more very soon. Also, when I was there this past November (I now visit them every time I am in Italy) they were talking about their next American student and how excited they were to have that student--you--coming. They really do love sharing their home, family, culture, and country with people.
    Buona Giornata,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous:
    Thank you for reading my blog. I would love to hear about your family too. Please send me you email address in a comment to the blog. I'm sorry, I can't figure out how to actually post a link to my email address.

    ReplyDelete