I'd love to hear from you

Email me! maryvmcclain@gmail.com

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 21: Amalfi

Giovedi, 21 Gennaio 2010

Is anyone out there?  Please post comments!

Today, we drove from Matera to Amalfi.  I should say John drove, Margaret was calm and I was a basketcase.  I have  been to this coast before and knew it was going to be insane driving here, but Margaret really wanted to stay on the coast, so I chose Amalfi.  Before we left Paestum, though, I asked John to choose the route.  The "easy" way was twice as far and only part highway... so we took the "short cut".     At least I had asked him before requesting he drive this way.

Beleive it or not, this was nothing compared to the road next to the cliffs on the ocean (but we were too scared to take pictures by that point)

We are staying in this hotel built into a cliff overlooking the ocean.  We can sit next to a wall of windows and hear the surf from our room, we also hear the screaming wind as well.  The place looked like nothing from the road and I was worried, but its nice.  The only problem is we have to drive into Amalfi in the dark for dinner.  (I'm willing to forgo dinner).

Houston, its affirmative, we have internet!  First things first!




Look out below!  There is apparently a tram that will take you down to the private beach where you have chairs and an umbrella... no thank you.

A view from our hotel

Out the other window from the hotel

Today is my "down" day and I am taking it easy in hopes that I can explore Pompeii tomorrow.  I also hope the weather holds for us for another day.  Although it is cold here on the coast, it is the wind which is bad.  It is really nice being here in the winter compared to the hot summer when the tourists crowd the streets.  This wouldn't have been possible in any other season.


Amalfi from parkinglot

Maggs on a passaggiatta through town
Maybe tonight I will try to finish my history lesson, or maybe just crash out early?  Vacations have too many decisions.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Maria









5 comments:

  1. Comments? Ok, I loved the Greek ruins, but why did the Greeks put wood fences around them? They sure have lasted :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures. Would love to see some more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and I'm imagining it (and fantasizing a trip) as you go along. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is wow. I have always wanted to go to Italy and now I REALLY want to go.

    Btw, you don't know me from Adam but I'm a fellow pottery lover and member of the gmcb group - Nita from NC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almalfi was wonderful. Driving in Italy is exciting. The entire trip is unforgettable. Thanks to my lovely sisters. I have amazing memories for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete