I'd love to hear from you

Email me! maryvmcclain@gmail.com

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 12: My last day in Viterbo

I am sad that this is my last day.  It is SUNNY out! (of course).  Alessandra is worse and so is Nonna.  I am a little better.  The doctor came to the house early this morning and gave Alessandra some medicine.  We cannot go out this afternoon, but it's OK.  I have to get ready to go early tomorrow morning; and also its probably better that I rest up anyway… touring Rome can be brutal.  There is so much to show John and Margaret.  I'm very excited about it.  Marianna and Erik came this morning to drop off Thais before they went to work.  It is nice to have her back.

Here are some pictures for you.

Ciao!

Maria


I hadn't mentioned the dogs.  They have 4 dogs... 3 are tiny little white terriers (like our old Mac, but white and smaller.)  I hardly see them as they live either outside or in a large laundry room.  They don't get along with the king of the house:  Tequila.  "Tek"  is a huge white dog, of an ancient Italian breed, used for herding in the mountains (maybe our bis-nonno had one one him).  He's a gentle giant.

I am happy to have this picture with Erik, Marianna and Thais.  I was afraid I wouldn't get to see them again before I left.  Marianna and Erik have known each other since they were small.  They both work with horses.  Sadly, on Monday, one of their horses, a beautifcul 2 year old Arabian that they had planned to breed... died suddenly.  They don't know why.  They are sad, of course, but also discouraged because this was their first business venture.


It takes two to feed Thais... not really.. she is a really good baby.

 Nonna made Gnochi Romana for lunch today, along with a frittata (very thin fried egg rolled up).  This gnochi isn't like the gnochi we have in ristorantes which are made with potatoes.  In Rome they make it with a thick layer of pasta made with farina.  Then it is cut into round circles with a glass and put into a baking pan.  Then covered with bits of butter and parmassiano and baked.. Sort of like poltenta but with grainy white flour instead of corn flour.


1 comment: