I'd love to hear from you

Email me! maryvmcclain@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 5: Shhh! don't tell Rob





Off topic: OK, I know its gross but I am fascinated by daily changes on my black eye.  I never had one before and I'm proud of my battlewound.

On topic:
When I chose to do a home study program, there were many choices of cities and classes to go, and  most of the home study programs also had,  for added fee, Italian cooking courses.  You won't be surprise to learn that that was one extra expense I opted out of.  But still, they said I was entitled to 1 class per week and today was my first cooking class. So, don't tell Rob but I actually think I could make a few of these dishes.   Nonna makes simple but yummy food and is always cooking something so its hard to really tell if a dish takes 1 hour to prepare or all day.      I was all excited to tell you what we had for lunch but now, after  dinner, I can barely remember lunch.  Oh, yeah. Lunch  was a pasta dish with braised "pulled"pork with tomato sauce over it, on top,  of pasta… also salad and fruit. I am eating and realized that I was unconsciously saying "MMM, Yumm".   Nonna smiled and said "Ti Piace Moltissimo"?

 After lunch, Alessandra took to her bed… she now has the flu that Marianna had and I only hope she gets over it soon.  Its not a big problem, I have loads of "real" work to do and Nonna keeps giving me lessons and tours of the town.  Today it rained all day and was miserable outside but this evening it is nice as I lay here on my bed under the eves listening to the rain.  At 5pm this evening, Nonna handed me paper and pen and told me to write down the "quasi recipe" for myself.   She measures nothing so my notes look like…  scoop a little sugar here…  taste, and if it needs more ,add it.. I don't think the notes are usable for anything.   The main thing was she showed me how to make an Italian strudel.  Its from Northen Italy: Veneto: where there are lots of Austrian and German residents.  And yes, its "just strudel" but this strudel had limoncello and homemade mandarino liquere in it.. I doubt that they make it that way in Austria and Germany. And how the heck would you find mandarino liquere, alla Nonna?  She calls the crust "the pasta" and she has a LONG rolling pin and big baking board.  As she rolled it out, thinner and thinner she would say things like… Questa pasta e` disastro. (because she would have to patch a small spot rolled too thin).

Once she dropped something and said "Signor Beneditto" under her breath.  (Mr. Saint Benedict?) When she was done rolling it out, we filled it with apples (which I did help peel), and a pear… and she rolled it up together.  Finally she says. " Questa e il partito molto difficule" and she crosses herself and puts her hand in prayer.  "Signor Christo, mi aiuta per favore"  (Jesus please help me).  We also made an orzo soup and a yummy casserole with riced potatoes layered with cheese and prosciutto… I had to have second helpings on that.  MMMM. 

Anyway, I'm not sure I should tell Rob I actually learned to make a meal, because he might expect me to continue… on the other hand, it could work in my favor. If I cook for him once in a while, he might decide the new improved wife he gets back from Italy is worth another trip back.

Other than that, We worked on grammar and translation exercises all day.  I'm talking too slowly but I do think I had more to say and that I'm losing my self consciousness.  Alessandra seldom corrects me and just makes me talk, talk talk… I'm lucky if I get a subject, and the verb right and forget about the pronouns, and order of the words.  She reminds me, I am a baby, less than 1 year old when it comes to Italian.

Not much help happened today and If tomorrow is also rainy and if Alessandra is still sick; well, I might actually start to write a few more history chapters.

Thaes did something cute… you know the 16th century Madonna and child statue in the living room?  Thaes calls baby Jesus "ge ge'.  Anyway Nonna Alessandra (versus Bis-Nonna, the great-grandmother) caught Thaes feeding ge ge some formaggio (cheese).  She is a very good baby.  I have never heard her cry even when she was sick.     But Mamma Mia, it takes 3 grown ups at all times to keep her occupied!  Or maybe its just that they don't let her really play by herself, they are so attentive and have to time to play with her as much as she likes.  Her favorite person is her Nonna and she says nanna nanna nanna , just like Collin used to when I was his favorite for that one weekend.

PS: it cracks me up that Italians call God and Jesus and the Saints: "Signor Dio, Signor Christo etc."  Mr. God? Mr. Christ??  This isn't just what Nonna says… its in the liturgy of the Italian mass.

Maria




                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 



Hungry Yet?

1 comment: