I'd love to hear from you

Email me! maryvmcclain@gmail.com

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day 2: pt 1. Oggi Io Sono Romana

Oggi, Io sono Romana.  Today, I am a Roman.  I dressed as in my grey European slacks and silk top and, of course had to wear my colorful scarf.  I still don't look Roman but I'm trying to at least not look like a tourist.  Didn't work too well as you will see.

Wow.  Wandering on your own can be awesome.  First I took the metro to EUR.  EUR is the modern part of Rome, built by Mussolini in all its fascist glory.  Oh, yeah, I exited the wrong way (again) and ended up walking around a beautiful city park.  Then, I saw a obilesk.  I was so busy trying to take a picture that I tripped and fell flat on my face.  Scratched my glasses badly but I guess I'll get by; I am overdue a year on new glasses anyway. And scraped my chin.. and tonight I noticed I have a nice black eye. At least my new grey slacks fared OK.  And my knees and back.  Hey they aren't bad.  The cortizone shots and epidural before I left was a good idea.  I walked a lot today and was fine. 

So EUR is where the government buildings are, and lots of finance buildings (I saw a FIAT headquarters).  And that's where the Museo delle Arti e Tradizione Populari (Folklore) is.  Well, I can tell you its there.  But it was closed.  Still, it was fun to walk around and see the architecture.  I found a bookstore and asked if they had a book I've  been looking for.  I asked in Italian, sort of.   They didn't have it. 




After my fall



Beneath the oblysk and around it is a sculpture of a buried man… you can see his arm and feet sticking up.





The closed destination… sigh, I'll have to come back… but at least I know the way.  Margaret and John just may have to suffer through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment