I'd love to hear from you

Email me! maryvmcclain@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 6: Pioggia Pioggia, vada via, ritorna , un altro giorno

Il 6 gennaio 2010

Rain rain, go away, come again, another day.  I think its rained quite enough, thank you very much.  Today Alessandra was sick in bed for the whole day and night.  I hope she will be ok tomorrow but I sort of doubt it.  So, Nonna and I hung out and I took it easy.  I am not feeling that great myself but I think its just jet lag.  Two naps today for me , a perfect rainy day J.    Alessandra is all worried about my lessons and also about me not seeing the sites.. but frankly (I shouldn't admit this), I'm OK.  Its fun talking to Nonna (mostly listening to Nonna and nodding), and just being here.  I really don't care about the sites, although a nice walk around town next time its sunny would be good.… (I'm optimistic).  I'm busy trying to make memories.  And today was special.

I don't know what's proper etiquette.. I wish I had a hidden movie camera so I could show you (and keep these memories fresh forever).  Three important scenes:

 Lillo and Nonna were busy and it takes 3 people to keep Thais entertained and out of trouble.  So I was showing her a book with animals and very simple phrases (my reading level).  She, of course loves the horse and dog pictures the best.  (This is a family who's heart is in the country with their horses).  We got to the monkey (my grandson Collin's favorite animal) and I had to scratch myself and go "ee ee ee".  Nonna says Thais is simpatico to me. 

Then Lillo was trying to feed Thais some soup for supper..  She only got about half way done and he is no nonsense about it.  If you are hungry, fine, if you aren't you are done.  Nonna is giving him advice, telling him she's raised children and she knows you have to sing and entertain them.   Lillo tastes the soup and says no, it needs more formaggio (cheese).  Nonna puts in more cheese, but Thais still doesn't want it.   Lillo gives up and Nonna takes over.  Nonna starts singing folk songs (she has a lovely voice).  She sings through one and gets a few spoonfuls in… then Thais puts her hands up to stop…  Nonna says… a different song then?  So Thais nods and accepts another bite.  Nonna sings another lively song (I think about horses)… Thais eats some more then says stop, Nonna starts another song… this goes on and on until Nonna has exhausted her repertoire.  But by this time Thais has been tricked into finishing her bowl of soup and I had a floor show.  I really wished I had filmed this if only to capture the folk songs. 

Ok, then the adults get to eat (don't worry, I'll describe the food next).  Thais is in her highchair and we're all trying to keep her entertained while we try to eat.  She is looking at the book of animals again.  She gets to the monkey and makes a scratching gesture…ee ee eee.  Lillo follows with his arms up like he's hanging from a tree, going "ee ee ee, ugh ugh ugh" .  Then Thais points to Nonna, indicating she is to do it.. and next to me.  All three of us are doing the monkey act and then Nonna starts laughing.  She says (of course in Italian), gesturing as if someone is taking an old movie… you should put this on the internet and tell everyone that you are learning Italian with this "strano" italiano famiglia..  we laughed so hard.   Having Thais here is really breaking the ice.  Babies are babies and parenting is the same in any language.  Not to mention it helps that they talk to her in simple words and show her things naming them all the time.  Nonna says some students are really "hands off" and don't know what to do with a baby around.. but I think it should be required curriculum.

Ok, now for the food.  Its amazing but I feel so stuffed.  Infatto, dico a Nonna, BASTA! (In fact I said to Nonna, ENOUGH!).   For lunch she made risotta con funghi, and a delicious, thin sliced chicken filets in lemon sauce, of course, salad, fruit, cheese.  I feel like I'm going to burst. (By the way, she served the strudel for colazione (breakfast)).   When we were talking before dinner she started telling me all she planned for our  "lighter meal", dinner,  and I said, no, non mai fame… ma per lei?… which is roughly, I think, "no, not hungry, but for you?".  As you can see, I can't seem to put verbs in my sentences, in fact, I think I even missed the subject.  I hope she didn't think I was rude. 

She took the polenta from yesterday, which was of a soft texture, and it had now hardened (almost like corn bread) and cut it, layering it with a couple of different kinds of cheese in a baking dish.  Then she poured in this kind of cream.  I looked at label, I have no idea what it was but it wasn't cream and it wasn't cheese and it said it had low fat and she said "Non Cloresterol"    I had to laugh.   Like it matters… with layers of other cheeses?  She was going to also make homemade soup but I talked her out of it.  I think Lillo wanted more to eat and was looking forward to his usual multi course dinner.  He's as thin as Rob, (my husband) of course.

Speaking of Rob.. you know how he can't sit still?  Like the energizer bunny… always moving, always busy.  Now imagine him on steroids but as an 83 year old woman.  Alessandra says her father used to complain that his wife made him tired just watching her and begged her to please sit.  (I totally "get" this).  Well, Alessandra says she's like her father and, though she appreciates all her mom's help, she wishes she would slow down.  Nonna says cooking isn't work (I totally don't "get" this).  It is insane having this 83 year old lady waiting on me hand and foot, I try to help, really I do.  (really, Rob, really) but at the slightest indication that someone needs or wants something she's up in a flash getting it.  When she's not clearing dishes, she's changing the tablecloth and setting the table.  She spends ALL DAY in the kitchen (or going to the market for a few things).  She apparently used to teach advanced cooking courses.  Can you believe how lucky I am to have chosen THIS immersion course?

Frankly I can't believe how lucky I am either.. of my life in general.  I am blessed and I hope I never take it for granted.  After dinner Nonna was telling me what it was like for her family in the Veneto region during WWII.  They were fairly wealthy, I think, unlike Lillo's family…  her family was pretty terrific.  I'll tell you about that another day.  Anyway, we Americans have no idea what it is like to be in a war.  We are so fortunate and so damn arrogant.  It's a wonder that the Italians still love us, just for being American, but they do.  I sure hope we stop resting on our laurels before we wear out our welcome.

There is so much to tell you and I haven't even written my history lessons.  I have a whole list of topics, aren't you lucky?  Maybe I won't get to them afterall…  seems there is only time to eat…I'm probably going to have to be rolled onto the plane.

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment