I'd love to hear from you

Email me! maryvmcclain@gmail.com

Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 10 part 2: Is this progress?

Questo `e progresso? (I'm not sure that progresso is even an Italian word… I think it is the brand name of a soup back in America… does that count?)  I noticed tonight that every 3rd word that I thought to say was in Italian… so that's good… but I tend to speak half in English, half in Italian which is lazy of me.  Also, I noticed that the cadence of my English is different.  I am speaking like a native would speak English as a second language.  I'm serious.  It's really funny.  I doubt that anyone else notices but I do.   In my head, I say the English words in the wrong order and pronounce them in the way that Alessandra pronounces English.  I also notice that Lillo is speaking more English… even Nonna is saying a few words in English now.  They both probably know English but just haven't been comfortable enough to try.  But it's really strange hearing myself speak in my head… saying words with "ay" instead of "ee" or with the stress on the wrong syllable.  (Of course, I also notice myself having a southern drawl when I visit our Southern states.)   I guess I'm impressionable if still language impaired.  I am totally convinced that it will never be possible for me to learn another language but, heck, I'm having a wonderful time trying.

Today, after our nap… pronounced in my head "naaappa", we took a drive to a nearby lake.  The countryside is rolling green hills and pastures with beautiful old stone farmhouses and grain storage buildings.  The road is narrow. ( If the road to Calvello is like this… it is probably worse…it will take longer than we planned.) At one point we could see the ocean.  In the village by the lake, Capodimonte (sp?)… (NOT THE SAME as the porcelain figurines and dishes.. of course I had to ask), there is a castle/fortress and also a palazzo of the Faranese family.  (There is a much prettier palace of theirs in Viterbo).  There is also a small boat harbor where I think I took pictures of every type of boat (for Rob, of course).  It was cold and grey but not raining so I don't know how the pictures will turn out.  We then came home and had hot finocchio (fennel) tea (tastes like licorice).  And, while at the table, Alessandra took out paper and pen and started asking Nonna for names, dates, and family history.  She has become interested in documenting her family history after all my questions.  Very interesting family… with nobility et al.  Then we went to town to walk around and saw the palace of the Pope.. and the medieval and renaissance buildings.  At night it is very beautiful because the buildings are strategically lighted.  But, I'm afraid the pictures won't be good.  There are still some Christmas lights in the streets and in the piazzas.  Then we went to have authentic, thin crispy, wood oven, pizza… and (John, are you taking notes?) BIRRA ROSSA.  It's a darker beer; they say it's red but I couldn't tell in  the ristorante light.  But it isn't bitter and I liked it very much. ("Eye LIIke EEt VayerayMuuch"... see, I told you) Then we came home and I rolled into bed…. It's a good thing I brought my larger size clothes.. well, I guess it's not a good thing exactly, is it?

Ok, still no time to write my history lessons… they may have to wait until the plane ride home… I wonder if I can still fit into a coach seat.

Maria

PS: I told Nonna that I needed more jokes.  She told me one which Alessandra says was crude and Nonna insisted that it was "carina".  Two nuns went out to the farmacia to buy medicine.  On the way home a man was following them.  The road split into two and each nun took a different route.  One nun arrived home but the other one didn't.  Everyone was worried.  A little later the second nun came home… her cheeks were rossa and she was all mussed up but was fine.  The mother superior took her aside to find out what had happened.  The nun said that the man had caught up with her and had pulled down his pantalone.  The mother superior said… Che cosa fa?  What did you do?  "I pulled up my habit".  O mio Dio!  "But I was faster than he was"  Bada bang bada bing.


No comments:

Post a Comment